Friday, September 30, 2005

God is bad for you

It has officially been proven. God is bad for you.

It took them this long to realise this? I knew all organised religion was bullshit by the time I was 10 years old. Whether or not there is a God is entirely another issue, but it doesn’t take a genius to realise that organised religion brings you no closer to the truth than taking drugs does. It only creates conflict and problems of the worst nature. The world would definitely be a much better place without religion.

You don’t have to look beyond Al-Qaeda to see that.

Abolish all religions, and you will have solved three-quarter of the world’s problems. No more evangelists looking to save us from hell. No more terrorists bombing innocents in the name of Allah. No more of these “moral dilemmas”, in the name of some obscure text written thousands of years ago, which has little bearing on today’s world.

Yes, I am a freethinker, however did you guess? And it hasn’t harmed me in the least. Just because I don’t believe in the religion I was born into, doesn’t mean I’ve become a promiscuous slut, or an axe-wielding mass-murderer. Instead, the mass murderers, strangely, are the religious ones. Think John List.

It has been proven time and again that when it is a theocracy, or when the state is connected to the Church (or temple, or Mosque, or whatever), the rule borders on the tyrannical and oppressive, especially in the case of women. One look at the Middle-Eastern countries will tell you that.

The problem, I think, lies not within the religion, but the people, and how they interpret and follow the words of their founders. People being people, will interpret the words in the way that suits them the most. The writers of the books are no better: they are human too, and have their own prejudices relating to that time period.

Note: I hope this is not considered seditious or anything, because, clearly, I am not attacking a specific religion, but the very concept of organised religion, using the currently existing religions as an example to illustrate my point. I’ll say the same about any new religion that arises, or even the one I was born into.

,

|