Sunday, January 15, 2006

Sayoni - the beginning

Yes, I know I haven't blogged in a long time. The minute I came back from India, I was swamped with work, work and more work.

After that was over, something new surfaced, that took my attention away from this blog. I became involved with a group of women from signel/redqueen, who are embarking on an ambitious project: starting a new platform for queer women. That's where all my time in the past few weeks have gone, building the blog and forum. I've been building Sayoni.

The aim? To empower queer Asian women, to keep them informed, and to facilitate discussion within the community. This kind of thing has never been done before, and we are really excited to be doing this, poised at the edge of a revolution.

Why aren't we being "activists", demanding equal rights? Because, before we can bang on the parliament doors and demand gay marriage, we have to build community spirit. The blog will be a place for us to speak our mind about issues that concern us, from different points of view. Yours truly will be talking about being a young queer girl, being bisexual, and being in a minority. Others will be talking about things like being an older lesbian lesbian, being christian etc. Something to cater to everyone. The forum is for you, to talk among yourself about whatever you want. The site is for YOU. We just run it.

Hence, to jumpstart the "beta" release of Sayoni, I'd like to appeal to all the gay readers of my blog to visit the site, read the blog and forum.

What does that mean for this blog? Well, I can't possibly juggle three blogs, this, singabloodypore and sayoni, especially with exams looming. Hence, with great regret, I am shutting this down. Hence, from now on, if you wish to read me, Sayoni is the place to go, though I'll only be talking about exclusively gay issues. Perhaps, after my exams, I'll start a personal blog again.

Until then, sayonara!

|